I absolutely revel in race day mornings. The excitement, free bananas, cool tees, the people, nerves, energy, the unknown, the run. And yesterday morning in my quiet little town they hosted the White Squirrel 5/10k hosted by Brevard Rotary which I have run a time or two in the past and have enjoyed the races. But I’m not racing this year. Here’s why:
- as many of you know racing tends to get expensive. So I’ve been very picky and choosey about which distances and which races I’ll be running.
- There’s that and I’ve run a marathon and a fast 5k all within four weeks of each other.
- I’m trying my hardest to focus on the easier runs and strength work.
- Plus, most elite runners race only a handful of events anyway. There’s a very good reason for that. If you want to give your best at your goal race you must give your body the rest it needs. Not just a day or two either.
- I want to be at my peak come marathon day in November. And that means ample rest to be ready to push hard when the time is right.
- Racing too often, too much, too long stresses your body and increases risk of injury.
So what did I do with my Saturday? Well, at 8:00 I met with Jenna at Jenna Leigh Photography ((She is an incredibly talented photographer and I am sooooo freaking lucky to know her. If you’re in Western NC I can not highly recommend her more!!)) for a quick head shot for my Personal Trainer biz, which is a work in progress; check it out HERE so far to see where I am going with it. It’s definitely a work in progress! We had fun this morning with some quick shots and overdue girl, fitness, mommy chat. Need more of that….Then right after that I took off on a run to
As a fitness professional I am not exempt from feelings of insecurities and today proved that. When trying to pose for the camera I kept hearing those nasty little self-doubt bugs creep in trying to tell me lies. Like your teeth are crooked. Don’t smile. You’re not fit enough yet. Blah blah blah.
You know what to tell those bugs: liar liar pants on fire! I may be a work in progress but I am strong and I am beautiful still!!!!
And on a more personal life note the husband and I are celebrating two years of togetherness this weekend! We went on our first date, a hike and ice-cream, two years ago during Memorial Day Weekend. This weekend we celebrated with cruising the town festival eating ridiculous amounts of tasty oh-so-bad-for-you food!
I’m working all Sunday then group run Sunday eve!