The photo above is not me. Obviously.
What prompted this post was a recent conversation held between a fellow professional peer and I. We were discussing body image and they told me I had “big” legs.
Really?! The last thing you want to tell a woman is that she is big. Anywhere. Maybe they meant for it to be a compliment as I am a marathoner and we typically have muscular legs. I prefer the term thoroughbred horse powered. But I couldn’t help but look down and suddenly see my lower limbs as fat stubs, I’m short. Not long and lean. It’s amazing how others’ words can affect you…if you give them meaning.
Well, they got the boob thing right with me. TMI? Sorry. It’s still kinda a personal runners blog. Chuckle at it. It’s okay.
But runners run in ALL sizes and body types.
I’m short and kinda squatty. But it’s cool cause I’m closer to the ground. So less ways to fall when I trip. HA.
But aside from that short ramble last week’s #MotivateMe didn’t quite end well. Life was just….busy. I worked overtime, training clients, the kid had camp to get ready and off to, I have a husband I should acknowledge one in a while lol… You know the drill. I made it 31 miles. Not quite 40. But 31 is still more than 0!!! And instead of solely focusing on mileage I have other things to enjoy…
I wanted to check in with summer. It’sofficially heat wave season!! Working that golden runners tan.
- Sub -45 10k July 4th without passing out.
- Hit 40+ miles weekly, end of June. This still needs to happen to prep for marathon training.
- Enjoy Running as a gift.
- Go on a long 10+ mile trail run.
- Go to the pool. Last year we had access and never went. Really?!?! Yeah, that’s gotta change.
- Read a book. A whole. Entire. Book. Maybe. Who has time to read? But it sounds like such a good goal.
- Get together with my girlfriends! Haven’t done this since the wedding.
- See my new clients reach their goals!
- Blog more than once a week. Ha. Admirable goal.
- Just practice joy on a daily basis.
Weekly Workout line-up
Monday: 30 minutes XT + upper body strength routine.
Tuesday: easy 6 with 4 x 800s
Wednesday: easy 5 + yoga
Thursday: 8 tempo
Friday: easy 5 + 30 mins XT + lower body stability workout.
Saturday: easy 4 or rest
Sunday: 12 long slow miles
Total miles: 40 let’s try again…
How do you see yourself in the mirror? Do you think you have the atypical “runner’s body”? How are your summer goals going if you’ve made any? How does summer affect your overall mileage? Have you ever had someone comment on your body size or shape?
blessed and beautiful running.